Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Bicentennial Celebration – First Cry of Independence

Saturday, 11-5-11

History
On November 5, 1811 Salvadoran priest José Matías Delgado rang the bells of Iglesia La Merced in San Salvador, calling for insurrection and launching the 1811 Independence Movement. This was considered the First Cry of Independence. However, this insurrection was suppressed and many of its leaders were arrested and served sentences in jail. Another insurrection was launched in 1814, and again it was suppressed. Finally, on September 15, 1821 in light of unrest in Guatemala, Spanish authorities signed the “Acta de Independencia” which released Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica from Spanish rule.

Today’s Festivities
I know what you’re thinking. Didn’t we just have a celebration for something like this not too long ago? Why are there so many celebrations for things in El Salvador? Yes indeed, there always seems to be some sort of celebration or festivity here. I’ve gotten to know them very well. I said as much to Kathy when I was talking about attending the celebration with my school. “Here’s what’s going to happen,” I said to her. “I was told to be at school at 7:00am.” Kathy said, “Which means things will get started around 8:00am.” “Right,” I said. “And I’ll be to school at 7:15am.”

I continued to tell her everything that I expected would be happening during the celebration: First we’ll all walk in formation from the school to the park. The important people in Berlín and national flag will be marched onto stage and then the National Anthem will be played. Following that someone will get up on stage and recite the Salvadoran Pledge of Allegiance which the audience will repeat, line by line. Then someone from City Hall will talk briefly about the importance of this day. After that we’ll have a couple schools perform dances. Next the flag will be marched off and someone will say a couple more words about the day. Then everyone will be released.

And you know what? That’s exactly what happened. The only thing I didn’t guess was that the band would be playing afterward. But play they did, and even though I’ve heard the music more than a hundred times I still enjoy listening to them. Enjoy the pictures.



Getting Cipitio's costume on


Sihuanaba, Cipitio's mother


One last costume


Me with the three negritos


Bumble bee


Dancers waiting to go on


The important people up on stage


Scenery for the dancers


Beautiful dresses


They danced pretty well


More beautiful dresses


Dancing away


I loved this little girl


Marching the flag offstage

Sittin' with the girls


The kindergarten band


Banner for the boy's school


God, Union, Freedom


Boy's school band


Marching away


1 comment:

Matt said...

The negritos are great. The costumes are so funny. It looks like the weather was pretty nice, that always makes celebrations more fun.