Friday, April 1, 2011

Blah

Thursday, 3-31-11

Blah. That’s kind of how I felt a lot of the day. For privacy reasons I don’t really want to go into a whole lot of detail. In the past two weeks two of my close family members have experienced major health problems. It’s hard being away from family, especially when there are problems. I worry about the problems my two family members are experiencing and I also worry about the rest of my family who I’m not there to support. I’ve been praying for my family a lot lately. Thankfully I have Skype and a cell phone here so I can chat with some of my family whenever I want.

There were some good things that happened today which brightened up my day. I spent some time playing with Barbara, Chelita, and Chenita. They all seemed pretty content. Chenita enjoyed some masa for lunch today which was good because she wasn’t eating much before. Masa is basically corn dough. It’s used to make tortillas and pupusas. Chelita still enjoys chasing Barbara around the yard and in retaliation (or maybe just because it’s there) Barbara eats Chelita’s food.

For lunch today we had chicken, rice, and salad. The salads here are always made with iceberg lettuce. I miss the dark, leafy greens that I get in the States. I also miss the bleu cheese dressing. Though my body can probably do without the dressing it is wanting the leafy greens. The best part of lunch today was the juice that came with it. I had to have the name of it repeated to me several times and eventually written down so I could look up what it was. It’s called maracuyá, which I eventually figured out is passion fruit. It was absolutely delicious. I think sometime I’m going to go on a hunt for passion fruit in the market because I’d love to eat just the fruit itself. It’s fun eating new foods, especially fruits.

I also saw a hummingbird today in the yard. I was playing with Chenita when I heard a loud, buzzing noise. At first I thought it was some kind of giant wasp, but then I realized it was a hummingbird! It was flitting about all around the tree. It stayed for a couple minutes and I wished I’d had my camera. I’m not sure what kind it was. It was a dark reddish brown color. Maybe I’ll see it again sometime.


Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the night saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.’ – Mary Ann Radmacher




Chenita having some masa


Barbara having some bread


Chelita already finished eating


The three amigas


All of the bird family together


Chenita's new cage


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had a rough day. I'm glad your bird friends are there to keep you company.