Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Day 5: Getting to know you

Monday, July 6, 2015

Today we visited the rest of San Francisco going door to door and greeting the families. We divided up again into groups as we’d done yesterday. My parents and Bob went with Katherine, Blanca, and part of the Directiva. I went with Jordan, Emily, and Troy accompanied by Cecilia and the other half of the Directiva.

We presented ourselves to the families and gave the families blankets. We also asked about their latrine conditions. Many people didn’t have latrines and several of those who did had old or broken latrines. I also tried to ask each family about their corn crops. Everyone said that the crops were shriveled and dried up. People told me they don’t know what they’re going to do. One man called it a nightmare. I agree. I wish I could have done something more but all I was able to do was tell them I’d pray for rain.
 
I had the chance to see several families and individuals that I’d met before. It was a blessing to be able to see them again and find out how they’re doing. Two people I saw today were girls (now young women) who I’d taught English to when I lived here in 2011. Both of them had baby girls. One was 10-months old and the other was 8-months old. They are adorable!!
 
What stuck out in my mind the most of everything I saw and did today? Hospitality and love. People graciously greeted us with open arms. We received handshakes, hugs, and in one case, some delicious beverages. Families invited us inside their homes and offered us chairs to sit down and rest. They were genuinely happy that we had come to visit their homes. I always feel so much love when I visit people in the cantons.
 
Enjoy the photos. They speak for themselves.
 


It's a beautiful morning!
 

 

 

 
 

Holding the blanket that we gave each family
 

 

Avocados
 

 

 

 

 

Eating arroz con leche (rice with milk)
 

Climbing back up
 

Baby Camila
 

 

 

Cousins
 

 

 

 

 

In the pickup
 

 

He brought some fruit
 

He requested a picture with his dog
 

 

 

 

 

Lunch
 

Hanging out inside the church
 

The school in San Francisco
 

Buying some candy
 

 

 

 

 

 

Very dry and dusty
 

With Zulma, Veronica, and baby Kimberly
 

Baby!
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm drinking coffee!
 

Headed back to Berlin
 
 

No comments: