Saturday, July 4, 2015

Day 2: Remembering the war

Friday, July 3, 2015
 
Today was a difficult day. Not physically. But mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Today we went to go visit sites of historical significance relating to the Salvadoran Civil War (1980-1992). We visited the National Cathedral where Monsignor Romero was buried and the place where he was killed, Divinia Providencia. After that we went to the University of Central America where 6 Jesuit priests, their housekeeper, and her daughter were murdered. Then we moved on to Cinquera to hear testimony about the war.
 
No matter how many times I hear the stories, look at the pictures, and see objects from the Civil War, I am still sickened. I feel angry, sad, horrified, and disillusioned. The ways in which other people hurt and torture their fellow human beings disgusts me. I took a class in college on ethnopolitical conflict and peace, so I understand to a certain degree how and why genocide and other atrocities occur. But as a human being, I still struggle to wrap my head around such violence.
 
Please see my four previous blogs for information about the National Cathedral, Divinia Providencia, the University of Central America, and Cinquera.
 
There were a couple happy moments during the day. The guest house where we stayed in San Salvador was beautiful and breakfast was wonderful. We were able to spend time with Alfredo and Katherine. At the end of the day we met with the Pastoral Team. And of course it was great to spend time with each other. I’m so excited to be back in El Salvador. Even though today was difficult, it was worth it.
 
 
At the guest house
 

 

 

Relaxing
 

Placemat at breakfast
 

Pinatas in the back of a pickup truck
 

Cheese!!
 

Quality time at the Pastoral House


No comments: