Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Nativity Scene

The Nativity Scene. It’s one of the most popular scenes throughout the Christmas season and can be found all over the world. I always had several Nativities when I was a little girl. It’s something you find at many homes in El Salvador as well. It’s different at each house and location. Some Nativities are huge while others are much smaller. But they are always filled with love.

This year I got to experience the creation of the Nativity at the Pastoral House. The Nativity took several hours to create and I was able to help with a couple things as well as capture the process with photos. The emphasis in many Nativities in El Salvador is on living plants. I watched as Blanca and Jesús dragged all sorts of plants into the chapel from the back yard. I went around the yard searching for rocks. We unpacked a couple boxes where things are stored for the Nativity and also placed a couple new pieces in the Nativity.

Before I knew it, the Nativity was finished. The only thing missing was baby Jesus. But he was deliberately left out of the Nativity. It is not until Christmas Day that they place the baby Jesus in the manger. It’s a truly beautiful tradition and a beautiful Nativity.



Making room in the chapel


Just the beginning


In storage


Here we go


What I found in storage


Putting up plants


And even more plants


Looking good


Adding a path to the manger


Is it done?


An angel given to the Team by a delegation


A piece purchased this year at Nina Luz's shop


I love the Nativity in the cantaro


Adding a little more


Can you tell what's been added?


Complete with poinsettias and presents


Merry Christmas to all the communities in Berlin
May God bless you always


More nativities I saw this Christmas season

At someone's home in Berlin


At a home in the cantons


In the park in Berlin


The stage in Berlin


In Alegria


A second nativity in Alegria


1 comment:

Matt said...

Wow, the nativity at the house is pretty spectacular. All of them are very beautiful. I'm glad you got to see them.