Thursday, March 24, 2011

Average Day

Wednesday, 3-23-11

I’d say today was an average day for me. I’m still having a hard time dragging myself out of bed at 6:30am. I am not a morning person and I liked sleeping in until 7:30am. I’m not sure why it’s so hard for me to get up early. When delegations are here I’m up and moving at 6:30 or 7:00 so I don’t know why I can’t seem to get up and moving this week. Maybe it’s because I know I have a busy morning ahead of me. I’ve even been going to bed at a decent time lately which is a rarity for me.

School went well today. When I get time I really need to sit down and think more about teaching the 1st and 2nd grade classes. I hadn’t planned on teaching those grades so I need to adjust my lesson plans for them. Hopefully it will all work out. I didn’t have my 4th grade class today during fourth hour because the teacher and students were going to “el campo” (the countryside). I’m not sure why they were going or what they were going to do and I didn’t have a chance to ask because they left so quickly. So I walked to my next class and asked if I could teach early. Not a problem. Things like this happen a lot. Someone has a meeting or someone is sick so there’s no class. Last year I didn’t go a week without my class schedule being changed around. I figured that I wouldn’t get through this week without at least one change.

My hip has been a little sore today which concerns me. I know I probably don’t need to worry, but anytime I have pain or aches in my hip I get worried. I’m sure everything will be fine. I try to use the soreness as a reminder that it’s okay to slow down. It may be because my legs are adjusting to walking the big hill every day. I’ve been putting ice on it several times and that seems to help. I did some stretches in my room to help ease the discomfort. I listened to a book tape for a while as I stretched and then iced my hip.

Around 4:30 we went to the canton of San Lorenzo to have a meeting with the Directiva about fertilizer that’s going to be delivered next week to their community. I’ve been to San Lorenzo before but have never met with Directiva so it was an exciting visit for me. Learning the work of the Pastoral Team and accompanying them to important meetings and events was part of the work plan that I created for myself. I feel like this is an area where I’ve had a lot of opportunities so far. It has been great to educate myself about their work and the work being done in the communities.

After the meeting was over the woman whose house we were at offered everyone pan dulce. Of course, I couldn’t resist. I picked out a small piece that looked like it was chocolate flavored; something I’d never really seen before. It was chocolate and it was delicious!! Our host offered Kathy and me another piece of pan dulce that had some sort of chocolate in the middle. We’re going to need her to deliver pan dulce to us at the Pastoral House because it was wonderful as well. We didn’t end up leaving until 5:45pm.

The rest of the night I planned out some activities for my first round of birthday celebrations tomorrow. I’m taking some candy to class for everyone, stickers, and a game. We’re going to learn some fun birthday words and maybe the song. I’m hoping the kids all have a good time. I have no idea how things are going to well. We shall see.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I guess you might have to slow down a bit with the younger kids. I'm sure it will all work out. Sorry your hip is sore again, I think you're right it's probably from the hill. I'm sure it will get better, the more you walk the hill. I know you're birthday will be a fun event. Not everyone gets to celebrate their birthday in another country.